Viewed from the side
|Technical Specifications (Altfire)|
Jaytest, commonly also known as V_Jaytest, is an early version of the MP5 model found within the Leak files. The file itself reveals a lot of interesting history.
V_Jaytest is most likely a leftover from a much earlier era of Half-Life 2's development, one much closer to Half-Life 1 than most other models we still have.
- First, its textures appear in /models/Police/ in anon-hl2. This implies that the Police model once had the SMG permanently affixed to his hand, similarly to HL1.
- Second, the textures it has are identical to
materials/models/weapons/obsolete/p_HkMp5k. It suggests that v_jaytest is a remnant of a HL1-esque model otherwise removed.
- Third, the textures of the weapon are setup in a very "old"-style way. There are five-ish textures in total, each used for one side of the model.
- Fourth, when the model is decompiled, the reference smd is named "Police_MP5_45fov.smd".
- The only bone it has, unlike most other viewmodels, is named "Box012".
- Although it possesses four animations, they all are placeholders with no movement.
- The origin appears to be where the camera is supposed to be oriented, but the model needs to be flipped around the Z axis to be viewed.
Differences between back textures
Jaytest, due to a texture name mixup, uses the Police's back texture in normal circumstances, instead of the real back texture "backgun.vtf". Curiously, this Police back texture is older than the one present in the Police's texture folder.
|Back Texture in Police||Back Texture in Jaytest|
One of the programmers involved in Half-Life 2's development was Jay Stelly. Since this is called Jaytest, it is plausible that he was involved in this, although the test in question is unknown.
- Flipped on the Z axis 180 degs
- (p_ is a style of texture naming usually used in Half-Life based games ported to Source, where textures are no longer included in the model
- V_jaytest uses back.vtf instead.