From Valve Cut Content
The MP7, also known as SMG2, is a weapon cut from Half-Life 2. It can be found in the playable Half-Life 2 leak.
- The MP7 is inspired by the real-life MP7 by Heckler & Koch. In the playable leak, two SMGs can be found: the SMG1 and the SMG2. The SMG1 was to be the MP5K (SMG1), but had been replaced by a slow-firing version of the final SMG by the time the early Half-Life 2 was leaked. The SMG2 is an MP7 as well, but it has a 60 round magazine and is capable of one or three-round bursts in addition to automatic fire. It is weak and has poor accuracy but makes up for it with a large amount of ammo per magazine.
- It appears that this SMG turned into the SMG featured in the final version, as it has a fast rate of fire, but does low damage, just like the one in retail. It only lacks the built-in grenade launcher.
- Interestingly, an unmodified playable leak has the SMG2 use the final SMG model. The SMG2's weapon file must be edited in order for it to use its proper model.
- Of note is that the final SMG's worldmodel textures are called "w_smg2.vtf". That means the SMG's model file might have been for the SMG2 at one time, which explains why the SMG2 uses the SMG1 viewmodel in an unmodified playable leak install.
- A folder for the SMG2 can be found in the Steam file "source 2007 shared materials.gcf". It contains the SMG2's magazine texture.
- In the Half-Life 2 files, several texture files for HUD weapon icons can be found, most of which still containing the icons for almost all of the cut weapons. The SMG2 is among them.